Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2010 ARCHIVES * April 2010 * Health crisis for Special Agent 007 Theodore < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mom2three
Username: Mom2three

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, just one month after losing Skeeter...

Last Tuesday, just before we left on holiday, my husband noticed Theo suddenly just stopped playing with Alvin. A very marked change in his behaviour. Theo had perked up after his Suprelorin implant, but last Tuesday he just flopped.
Our friend who cared for them, very ferret knowledgeable, called us while we were out and told me that Theo was having hind leg weakness. And, no energy, ate and then went back to sleep.
We came home and decided Theo needed to be seen on an emergency basis on Sunday. So yesterday morning, we spent at the clinic and well, life has gone downhill since then.

Ultrasounds (we had 2 done, one Sunday and one today), shows a HUGE spleen. Enlarged left kidney. Free fluid between the spleen and liver. The spleen is bigger than the liver now. The lymph nodes around the liver are swollen. Lymph nodes at the hind legs, front legs and neck are swollen. Not huge, but swollen. My vet did the re-check this morning, and told us she did NOT want to needle biopsy the spleen. The spleen is too enlarged, and we run a very high risk of rupturing it or causing it to bleed out into the abdomen. So she drew blood and did needle biopsies of the lymph nodes behind the knees.
Theo handled it okay...got lots of Nutri-Cal and cuddles afterwards. He is zonked out, probably for the rest of the day.
I will have the results of the blood work tomorrow night, and lab work on Friday (hopefully).
This is not looking good for Theo. He has gone downhill so quickly, I just do not know what to think. It is probably lymphoma, we just don't know how bad. But judging by the size of the spleen, it is bad.
Please keep him and all of us in your thoughts and prayers. I really do not want to lose another ferret so soon after seeing Skeeter go to the Bridge.
I will try to keep this updated, and am also starting a blog on FB.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris, Zee Empress of zee Revolution des Liberte des Ferrets! who is mom to Alvin, Simon (who is on active duty at Aunt Nita's house for years on end), Theodore, and Baby Roo, grandma to Angel Maximillian (RIP) and Angel HRH Sapphire (RIP), Auntie to Skipper the Nipper. Our babies at the Bridge: Skeeter, Biker Queen (28 March 2010) and to Chopper the Australian Shepherd, we miss you every day. Carry on at The Bridge.

Lara608
Username: Lara608

Post Number: 952
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Prayers for you and your sweet baby. My heart goes out to you, Chris. Was hoping to hear better news this morning.
Headquarters of the Ohio JAG Brigade of Murray, Daisy Dook (aka Amelia Ferrethart), Miss Halo, Rumpleteazer & Mr. Big!
Java & Magic, Labrador Retrievers,
Banjo, American Shorthair,
Pesto, Turkish Van.
God bless Dookie B.and sweet Wallace

Fuzze
Username: Fuzze

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Chris...I am so sorry to hear about Theo. I am going through the exact same misery now with my little girl Booga. She just got diagnosed with lymphoma through ultrasound and 2 aspirates (high grade/large cell). I'm giving her prednesone and am waiting to see how she does. If Booga decides to go to the bridge, she does not know anyone there. Would Skeeter greet her and introduce her to some of his friends? Again, I am so sorry to hear of Theo's illness. This is the worst feeling EVER!!! I'll be praying for Theo.
Katie - Mommy to Booga, Kong, Weezer and Ruby

Dferretmom
Username: Dferretmom

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I too was hoping for better news.
I'm so very sorry you are having to go
thru something so serious
so soon after Skeeter.

Hoping and praying the vet can come up
with something to help Theo.

Hugs
Denise, coming to you from sunny Yukon, Ok - Loving mom to 2 grown skin kids, 16 darling fuzzie babies, 3 cats and 6 dogs.
"Some people are like slinkys, good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 6951
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Will be hoping and praying that he hangs on for you. Waiting for lab results is so nerve-wracking! Poor little thing... I wish they weren't so prone to cancer. :-( Keep us posted as you can. I know this couldn't be worse timing, but rotten news never comes at a "good" time... *sigh* Just pray and hope that God sends you the strength to handle whatever it is he has in store for our little Super Spy.
*big hugs*
Anita in KC / Bubba sQuad Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Resident Lime Princess, and Mistress of Nag

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D. ...and as of 3-5-10: Privates-in-training: Miss "Pretty" Independent and "Pink"-a-Doo
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Weaslehugs and Angel-kisses to our darlings at the Bridge:
Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Fuzzyslave
Username: Fuzzyslave

Post Number: 966
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Many hugs & prayers

Fuzzie23
Username: Fuzzie23

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Praying for Theo. I know waiting for results are the pits. I too wish these little ones were so prone to get all these nasties. Healing thoughts and prayers coming your way.
proudly owned by The Official Wrecking Crew: Stinker, China, Sara, Jasmin, Nikita, Norma, Einstien Junior, Clyde, Cocoa Bean, Casper, Stripe, Calvin, Demon, Beauregards, Patch, Buster, Taz2, Meeko, Beneka, Kodopoli, Napoleon Dynamite, Sebastian. Angels at the Bridge Loved Forever: Toby 19Jul07, Ben 27Dec07, Gracie Girls 6Mar08, Bonnie 31may08, Taz 9Jun08, Scooter 18Apr09, Hobbs 1May09, Ivan 25Jan10

Mom2three
Username: Mom2three

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I gotta tell ya, 007 found his "Superman" cape and when he does decide to stay awake, he plays for a good 20 minutes or so. This afternoon, he dooked twice and war danced for me before running off to find Roo's stash of N-Bones in my bedroom. So there are definite moments when he looks at me and seems to say, "I ain't a going yet, Mama! No crying! buck up and carry on!"

Fuzze, of course Skeeter the Biker Queen will greet Booga and be happy to show her around. I can just imagine the new Brigades Skeeter has set up with Max, Sapphire and Weazie's help!

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers. I am expecting a phone call from our vet tonight. Perhaps we will have answers soon.

Here's 007 in his younger days!

Chris, Zee Empress of zee Revolution des Liberte des Ferrets! who is mom to Alvin, Simon (who is on active duty at Aunt Nita's house for years on end), Theodore, and Baby Roo, grandma to Angel Maximillian (RIP) and Angel HRH Sapphire (RIP), Auntie to Skipper the Nipper. Our babies at the Bridge: Skeeter, Biker Queen (28 March 2010) and to Chopper the Australian Shepherd, we miss you every day. Carry on at The Bridge.

Fuzze
Username: Fuzze

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

He is sooooo handsome! I love the bow tie! best wishes and prayers for the little man! I am so happy to hear that he does have some dook in his step! Keep fighting Theo!
Katie - Mommy to Booga, Kong, Weezer and Ruby

Bearsmom
Username: Bearsmom

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hugs, Love and prayers heading your way!!
Lynn in NJ owned by my fuzzies Kahlua and Bailey Rose, RIP,my BEAR(aka Monkey Man) & Razzy (daddy's little girl)and our dogs Max and Tahoe.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration