Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2010 ARCHIVES * April 2010 * Weird Poop < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fuzzyluv28
Username: Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of my ferrets left an odd poop present in the litter box for me. It was a weird orange color and it was gooey in texture. I have supplied a picture of the poo. I don't know if I should be concerned right away or just wait to see if it is produced again. All of my four ferrets are acting normaly and are as energetic as ever. I also have not seen any odd poops since I found the orange poop last night.Orange poop

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 6943
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What do you feed them? Could be just food or treat-related. Mine have off-poops occasionally. As long as it doesn't keep happening, and the ferrets all otherwise seem bouncy and happy, I wouldn't be worried about it.

If it does keep occurring, though, you should find out which one is producing it, watch them closely and if you think anything isn't quite right, have them checked by the vet.

You could also take the poop sample up to the vet's for a fecal test, to see if there's anything parasitic or high-levels of bacteria in it. But, again, I wouldn't do that unless you're seeing repeated bad poops and/or the ferret isn't acting normal.

Welcome to the Board, too. Tell us about yourself and your ferrets when you get the chance! :-D
Anita in KC / Bubba sQuad Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Resident Lime Princess, and Mistress of Nag

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D. ...and as of 3-5-10: Privates-in-training: Miss "Pretty" Independent and "Pink"-a-Doo
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Weaslehugs and Angel-kisses to our darlings at the Bridge:
Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Boomdiyada
Username: Boomdiyada

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello! Im sorry I cant tell you anything about the poo. But I just wanted to welcome you to ferret universe! Have they gotten into anything orange lately? Thats a pretty interesting color...

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Anita, a one of odd pooh is OK so long as their behaviour is OK otherwise, maybe something they ate or 'just one of those things'
Mary- 9 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa,Niffler,Jill, Frisky, Beanie Baby and Beauty plus Charlie the dog, 4 fish 5 snails, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you guys for welcoming me :D I was so happy when I found this site and to find other ferret fanatics! Ok, that is kinda what I thought to. Like a freak poo or something. I don't think there is anything orange for them to get into but then again they are too mischevious for their own good lol. I feed them Marshall's premium ferret food. They also get Ferret Bites peanut butter treats and Bandits raisin treats.

Oh, here are pictures of Zeus and Lizzi :DZeusLizzi
Ferret mother to Zeus, Hades, Lexi, and Lizzi

Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here are pictures of Lexi and Hades :DLexiHades

Banditsbuddy
Username: Banditsbuddy

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome! You're babies are adorable!!
Colleen, mom to Bandit,Scudder,Goober and Gracie(RIP). Taco Paco (chinchilla 18 yrs old.) Seven cats & A dog named Elvis.

Sheri_k5
Username: Sheri_k5

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see those poops once in a while with my crew when it is shedding season. The orange is usually mucous surrounding the little bit of hair that irritats the intestines.
Sherri
Mom to my 4 babies, Lily, Huck, Zoey, and Zool! I miss all my babies at the bridge. Not a day goes by I don't think of you.

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 6945
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ohhhhh, they are adorable! Great pics!!!! One thing I might suggest is you try mixing in some other kibbles with the Marshall's food, and eventually switching them off of it. ... not the "best" ferret kibble out there, is all (despite what Marshall's will tell the public). If you buy ferret stuff on-line, try ferret.com or ferretdepot.com, and try them on Totally Ferret or Zupreem or Innova Evo for ferrets. Mixing several kibbles is recommended, so if they are ever in a situation where they're normal food isn't available, they won't be snobby about eating other foods. Mix the foods and gradually mix in less and less of the Marshall's until you can just not buy it anymore. That's my suggestion anyway...

I am currently feeding a mix of Innova Evo, Totally Ferret, Zupreem and Shepard and Green. My 4 kids are all happy on that mix. We supplement with homemade chicken "dook soup" AM and PM, also, but you don't have to go there, yet, if you don't want to... Dook Soup is something we try to get them used to, in case of the need for a soft diet due to illness... it's easier getting a sick or recovering ferret to eat if they're used to it. I'm rambling, and hope I'm not overwhelming you... just giving you things to consider is all... ferret fanatic that I am... LOL!
Anita in KC / Bubba sQuad Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Resident Lime Princess, and Mistress of Nag

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D. ...and as of 3-5-10: Privates-in-training: Miss "Pretty" Independent and "Pink"-a-Doo
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Weaslehugs and Angel-kisses to our darlings at the Bridge:
Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Fuzzie23
Username: Fuzzie23

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh I love the fuzzy fat tails! You babies are precious. Interesting color on the poop. I know I see my share of weird colors, I will watch to see if it happens again, and which one is doing it. I have to agree with Anita on the food. There is a post on this board that ranks the kibble. I have mine on Zupreem and Natural Gold. Plus I have chicken available for them. They all get "soup" of a/d cat food and chicken baby food. So they are all use to it when they get sick.

Welcome to the board!!
proudly owned by The Official Wrecking Crew: Stinker, China, Sara, Jasmin, Nikita, Norma, Einstien Junior, Clyde, Cocoa Bean, Casper, Stripe, Calvin, Demon, Beauregards, Patch, Buster, Taz2, Meeko, Beneka, Kodopoli, Napoleon Dynamite, Sebastian. Angels at the Bridge Loved Forever: Toby 19Jul07, Ben 27Dec07, Gracie Girls 6Mar08, Bonnie 31may08, Taz 9Jun08, Scooter 18Apr09, Hobbs 1May09, Ivan 25Jan10

Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, I didn't know that Marshall's wasn't the greatest out there. I live in city where there aren't really any ferret knowledgable people out there so I have basically been relying on a ferret book. I will definitly be switching them off the Marshall's and into a mixed diet. I'm sure they will be happy lol.

I am also happy to report no recent odd poop sightings :D

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration