Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2010 ARCHIVES * April 2010 * What do YOU use to kill ear mites? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 6922
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 10:57 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

There seems to be so many different things that will kill ear mites, it made me curious to know what everyone else uses, recommends, has heard of, etc.

My vet charges $20 per ferret for this special Ivermectin that is a 2-time use, with a week interval in between applications. I only bought the one-time use, and then our shelter got an entire huge bottle of Ivermectin for $26 off a website supply place. She gave me a vial of that, put one drop in each ear, then the same thing the following week. I just took everybody to the vet today - no mites. Makes me think the vets are making a KILLING off selling to customers what we otherwise could get MUCH cheaper elsewhere and works just as well.

What do you use? What does it cost?
Anita in KC / Bubba Brigade Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Resident Lime Princess, and Mistress of Nag

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Weaslehugs and Angel-kisses to our darlings at the Bridge:
Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Fuzzyslave
Username: Fuzzyslave

Post Number: 963
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 7:05 am: Edit PostPrint Post

The shelter you work with does the same thing I use.So,you'll be good to go.
I buy the bottle at Jeffers ( local to me) for $26 & even use on my dog.It'll last me the better part of a year.

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 6:30 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

I understood, from the manufacturers, that invermectin should not be applied directly into the ear. I use a spot on preparation of invermectin.It is specially made for small animals so I know the dose is right. You can buy it over the counter here and it works out about 3 per ferret. You can use it to treat mites, two applications 2 weeks apart, or you can apply it monthly as a preventive. I do this with one of my girls who had a bad ear infection last year and has a slight head tilt as a result.
Mary- 9 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa,Niffler,Jill, Frisky, Beanie Baby and Beauty plus Charlie the dog, 4 fish 5 snails, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Wilbur

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 6:36 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

Invermectin shouldn't be used on dogs, it can be quite dangerous for them, especially for collie breeds. Quote from the back of the box

" Serious reactions, including deaths, have been reported in dogs "
Mary- 9 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa,Niffler,Jill, Frisky, Beanie Baby and Beauty plus Charlie the dog, 4 fish 5 snails, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Luvabunny
Username: Luvabunny

Post Number: 770
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 10:21 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

For ear mites, on any animal, I have always used just plain old baby oil.

Takes more than a drop, you've gotta use enough to coat the inner ear and suffocate the mites, but it's cheap and won't hurt the animal, even if it gets into their eyes, or swallowed.

Call me old fashioned, but I hate "doctoring" for something so simple. Come to my house anytime. You won't find a single animal with mites.

Ivermectin is a strong horse/cattle wormer. Since when did *they* decide it was good to use on ear mites? Just wondering....
April

Head food preparer and chief potty box cleaner to the Cowboy Brigade West, led by Sheriff Sebastian, undercover cutie Sophie, rough-n-tumble Sadie, petite Pixie, and her two beaus, Romeo and Rowdy.

Forever in my memory - my Baby Bear, my old lady Smudge, and grampa Felony.

Weaslemom

Post Number: 6925
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 10:58 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

Mary, off topic here, but I'm interested in your experience with your little girl with the bad ear infection. Is she more prone to ear mites because of this, and that's why you treat monthly? How long has she had her head tilt? It will be permanent you think?

And if you're not supposed to put Invermectin directly into the ear, how do you kill the mites with a spot-on application? I don't understand that... are you meaning like the Revolution you apply between their shoulder blades that is supposed to kill the mites? ('cuz that didn't work for me last time we used it - ferret still got mites)

There is more than one version of Ivermectin I think... different strengths? Whatever our shelter has sure worked, and the ferrets are all fine, fat and happy, and Mama is VERY RELIEVED! LOL!
Anita in KC / Bubba Brigade Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Fuzziesr4me
Username: Fuzziesr4me

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 9:06 am: Edit PostPrint Post

Ivermectin has been used by shelters for many years for ear mites and mixed with propolyne glycol for heartworms. It's a cheap, safe alternative to high dollar vet treatments used correctly.

Wilbur

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 10:49 am: Edit PostPrint Post

Rosa had an ear infection last year, probably from an ear mite infestation. The infection was cleared up with antibiotics and ear drops. Her ears are lovely and clean now but she still has a slight head tilt, quite cute really. When she looks at you it is like she wants to ask a question. Not sure if it will be permanent but I do know a friend who had an old girl who had been the same for years.

Yes the invermectin works as a spot on, I know it is used in different animals as well but I have only heard of it used in ferrets as a spot on. It seems to work very well. The only reason I treat Rosa regularly is because I am so worried her ears will be even worse if she gets mites again.

the manufacturers recommend monthly treatment so i could do all of them but I really don't like giving medication unless it is really necessary.

Eraser
Username: Eraser

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 6:21 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

Wilbur,

Dakota had a serious inner ear infection..and he has a head tilt.. and it been almost 2yrs since the infection.

As for cleaning the ears and keeping the mites away.. i used the baby oil too!! its safe and smells great too!!
A party isn't a party unless you have limes!!
Mich is owned by 3 cats: Mulder,Max & Flash, 4 Ferrets: Apollo Dakota,Anakin,& Bauer, 1 Milksnake: Tsunami,and Bearded Dragon: Scuttle
Welcome to my Zoo!!

Resident Lime Queen and one of the Founding Members of the FPAA
Troupe Leader for the Win-Can division of the Canadian Ferret Brigade.

Fuzzyluv28
Username: Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 12:36 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

Is it necessary to do a preventative for ear mites? My ferrets had ear mites once a when I had first gotten Zeus. Zeus brought them back from Petco and decided to share with Lexi and Lizzi. He was only 3 mnths at the time and the girls were 4 mnths. Now they are all over a year and I havent had a problem with their ears since. Is there a sign when you would know that you have to do a preventative for mites?
Ferret mother to Zeus, Hades, Lexi, and Lizzi

Weaslemom

Post Number: 6946
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 10:36 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

The main sign for ear mites is the excessive itching, but that isn't always the case. Vets will usually always check for ear mites when you bring them in for check-ups. I put the Revolution on the kids when flea season rolls around, and it's supposed to be a preventative for ear mites, too, but it doesn't always work... I had one ferret on Revolution to get ear mites and she never itched!

My thinking, tho, is they're not too big of a problem in an established business, but if you bring in shelter or pet store ferrets, you almost always have a mite problem to fight.

I don't worry about it unless I see excessive itching, and just get them checked periodically when we go to the vet's for one thing or another. :-)

There's a new thing out on the market now I read... I think it's called Advantage Multi. Ask your vet about it; I'm going to after I run out of this Revolution I already have.
Anita in KC / Bubba sQuad Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D. ...and as of 3-5-10: Privates-in-training: Miss "Pretty" Independent and "Pink"-a-Doo
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Greensky042
Username: Greensky042

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 11:12 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

Be very careful with Ivermectin, make sure they are diluting it. My vet gave my ferrets Ivermectin shots to rule out parasites for their IBD. One ferret was ok, but the other one, Koda, went into seizures the next morning, then went paralyzed. I took him back to the vet and she said maybe he had a brain tumor and send me home. I took him to my girlfriends vet in Nevada immediately, 5 hours away, and found out he had a toxic reaction to the Ivermectin. My vet gave them a undiluted dose and it should have be diluted, so basically she poisoned him. Long story short, he spent 3 weeks in the vet hospital in Nevada. He never recovered from being paralyzed, and afer 8 months lost control of his bladder and bowels. We had to put him to sleep after 8 months of 24/7 care. While Koda was in the hospital, there was a dog in there that had been blinded by Ivermectin a few years ago. Wilbur is right about Ivermectin being dangerous for some dogs. The vet said there is a verse that goes "dogs with white feet, don't treat". So be very careful with Ivermectin both with ferrets and dogs, but especially with ferrets. I do hear that Ivermectin in the ears is safer though than an injection.
Mom to Chucky, Odie, Max, Kaos and Cinnabear. RIP my boys Koda Bear, Roofie, Beef Cake and Drew, and my girls Fizzle and Zoe, I miss you terribly.

Wilbur

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 8:01 am: Edit PostPrint Post

That is horrid, I have never heard of invermectin being used as an injection here. The only way I have heard of it being used in ferrets is as a spot on. A pipette on the skin at the back of the neck, it absorbs through the skin and seems to work, I have not heard of any problems used this way, although there is bound to be one that is allergic, same as any med.

Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 4:22 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

OMG! I cant believe a vet would be that ignorant to something like that! That is completely horrible.

So im not sure if the ferts have ear mites but they are scrambling out of bed to scratch what looks like their ears. The baby oil trick sounds like the way to go cuz im a bit short on cash atm cuz of moving. I just want to double check that it wont hurt the ferrets in any way.

Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 4:23 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

I was also wondering when using the baby oil to kill ear mites how much exactly do you use? Do you just use a q-tip to cover the ear? Do you leave it in or wipe it out?

Wilbur

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 10:39 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

The oil won't do any harm. I would use olive oil myself, just put a few drops down the ear twice a day. As a bonus they will get their ears cleaned by the others, my lot love olive oil nearly as much as ferrotone.

Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 5:16 am: Edit PostPrint Post

Ok will do! Im not too sure that they even have mites because their ears are practically spotless but I would rather get the olive oil and be safe then having it turn out that they do have mites and it becomes serious with lasting effects. Thank you guys so much for your help!!! :D

Fuzzyluv28

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 2:05 pm: Edit PostPrint Post

OK so i was putting the olive oil (i got extra light, dunno if it matters) in Zeus' ear and the dropper got stuck and when i pushed a little harder it jetted waaaaaay too much oil in his ear. i put him down after giving him a million apology kisses and he shook most of it out and seemed fine. is there any way he could go deaf or have something go wrong with his ear because of this?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration