Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2009 ARCHIVES * February 2009 * Ferret Hemorrhoid? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ladyhawk
Username: Ladyhawk

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, the last 2 nights I have heard one of the ferrets licking a lot. I cut nails last night and while doing Caramons, I found something that looks sort of like a Hemorrhoid! At first it looked like he had a little poo on his bum. But when I tried to wipe it with a tissue it wasn't poo. So I looked closer and found it to be attached. He isn't 'prolapsed', just a little irritated in the area. It's sort of a bubble shape. Kind of shiny. I hate to be so graphic, but I know if I don't know what it is my vet is going to give me some generic BS.
Any one know what it could be and other than Lax and maybe some pumpkin...what else should I do?
Kiss your Fuzzies Everyday! Tomorrow they may be gone.

Ferretlover_2
Username: Ferretlover_2

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sorry I have no help on the matter, but I hope caramons is ok, please keep us updated.

(Message edited by ferretlover_2 on February 05, 2009)
Life Is Short, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly, Laugh Uncontrollably & Never Regret Anything That Made You Smile. ~ Like a kiss from your fuzzies. Mama to fuzzies peanut and miss lola.At the bridge~ My sweet angel Snickers, Guinea Pig-Oreo, Mama misses you both so much

Luvabunny
Username: Luvabunny

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used to put Preparation H on my bunnies feet, for sore hocks, which they lick alot, so I would bet it would be OK for Caramon's little bottom too.
If it doesn't get better within a day or two, or starts looking worse, I would certainly take him in for a professional opinion, even if it IS generic BS. At least it will be an educated generic BS....
Let us know what you find out.
April

Head food preparer and chief potty box cleaner to the Cowboy Brigade West, led by Sheriff Sebastian, undercover cutie Sophie, rough-n-tumble Sadie, petite Pixie and her two beaus, Romeo and Rowdy.

Forever in my memory - my Baby Bear, my old lady Smudge, and grampa Felony.

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 5977
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, this mentions a "partial" prolapse, which might be what you're seeing???

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/ferret/proliferative_colitis.aspx

And ran across this, which is kind of a neat quick reference guide, but not really mentioning your problem: http://www.ferret-fact.org/SymptomChart.htm

but other than that, I couldn't find anything on a partial prolapse or anal protrusion that WASN'T related to prolapsed rectum....

I'm just throwing out ideas, but maybe take him off hard food for a while, and keep him hydrated of course... see if just plain dook soup with Lax and pumpkin like you mentioned doesn't help. Maybe some plain yogurt, too? Can you tell what his poops look like? Maybe isolate him for a while, to see what his poops are doing, and if he's straining to go... maybe give BarbC. a message and see if she or her vet have seen this?

I know it's not pretty, but a picture would sure help.

Keep us posted for sure! And hugs to Caramon and all the rest.
Anita in KC / Bubba Brigade Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Resident Lime Princess, and Mistress of Nag

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Weaslehugs and Angel-kisses to our darlings at the Bridge:
Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Fuzziesr4me
Username: Fuzziesr4me

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pretty much just like humans. Keep it clean and prep h. Doc may have to shove it back in but treating it on the outside for inflamation is better.

Dferretmom
Username: Dferretmom

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gee Kris I've never had this happen so I don't have any advice to give on this one.
I would guess a trip to the vet would be in order if the prep H doesn't help any.
Denise, coming to you from sunny Yukon, Ok
loving mom to 2 grown skin kids, 8 darling fuzzie
babies, 2 cats, and 6 dogs.
"Life is not about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

Ladyhawk
Username: Ladyhawk

Post Number: 3014
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like both those links Anita...Thanks! Caramon looked better last night. But if it gets back looking like it did I will take a picture. It's hard to explain what we see and give a good picture Via words.
I surely know if it got worse I would take him to the vet. But as it was, I know the vet would have charged me to come in and say everything you guys just said.
Thanks on the Prep H. I thought it might be safe, just wasn't sure.
Lets hope I Don't have to take a picture of his Bum to share...LOL!
Kiss your Fuzzies Everyday! Tomorrow they may be gone.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration