Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2008 ARCHIVES * December 2008 * Paralyzed ferret? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ferretgang
Username: Ferretgang

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi guys sorry i haven't been on for a long time but with all those newbies i haven't had any time for this computer. i lost 3 out of the 20 that i rescued from that bad place. Now i have a question for u guys one of them woke 3 days ago and he couldn't move so i called the vet and he told me to bring him right over. well he examined him and said that he had a blood clot in his heart that let go and went into his hind legs in which paralyzed him. has anyone ever heard of this happening before? he gave him a shot and told me to keep him away from the other ones for a week so i did that, he said that hopefully the clot didn't do perment damage that will leave him this way, if so do i let him live this way? HELP!!!!!!! OK another one just came down with it he woke this morning the same way but he came out of it by himself but he does drag his right hind leg what is causing it? has anyone ever had this happen to their fuzzie? ALSO has anyone ever had their white fuzzie with dark eyes turn orange thats right he is orange he turned on halloween day weird, and no noone put coloring in him the vet ask that question no one touches my babies except 3 people and they would never do that they love them too much. OK enough about my FUZZIES i will sign off ferretgang.
Jazzy,Radar,Mikey,FuzzyBuzzy,Suzie,Dixiegirl, Hayden, rip(Squeeks07,Ringo07,Bear06,Bandit03,Snowball05, Sweetie07,Dar07,Little hope08,Sunshine08,Boo02, PoohBear99,Tucker02,Tc04,Angel01,Dexter,03,Hunter01,Simon01,biscuit08

Fuzzie23
Username: Fuzzie23

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For the fur question, sometimes the food will turn a white coat "orange". I have Einstein Junior who is an albino and during the winter months he puts out more oils on his coat than Demon who is also an albino. That is one possibility. For the hindend weakness. There are soo many types of illnesses/bugs these little ones can get, it would be hard to say what it actually is. There is a company that will make wheel chairs for ferrets. I will have to research the link, but I was going to order one for Ben, but he passed to the bridge before I could order it. Just thoughts
proudly owned by The Official Wrecking Crew: Stinker, China, Sara, Jasmin, Nikita, Norma, Einstien Junior, Clyde, Cocoa Bean, Casper, Scooter, Stripe, Ivan, Calvin, Hobbs, Demon, Beauregards, Patch, Buster, Taz2, Meeko, Beneka. Angels at the Bridge Loved Forever: Toby 19Jul07, Ben 27Dec07, Gracie Girls 6Mar08, Bonnie 31may08, Taz 9Jun08,

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 5859
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's the link for the Ferret Flyer wheelchair. http://www.ferretuniverse.com/resources/ferretflyer.asp

I hope they're not permanently damaged, tho.. :-( poor things! *sigh* Can you ask the vet if there's any kind of blood thinner or some kind of med to break up clots that ferrets can take? Never heard of it.

Yup, I'd also say "orange" ferret is probably due to food and/or excess oil production. If you're not bathing them too frequently, then it could just be a seasonal thing.
Anita in KC / Bubba Brigade Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Resident Lime Princess, and Picture Nag

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Weaslehugs and Angel-kisses to our darlings at the Bridge:
Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blood clots in humans can cause problems in legs but never heard of it in a ferret. In a human a blood thinner would be given to help the body break it down but of course ferret physiology is different to ours so treatment is not necessarily the same.

As for the fur intact albinos, or other light coloured ferrets, can look quite orange because of the oils in their coat.

In your guys case it could be from his diet or because he is producing more oil due to being bathed too much.

However he could possibly be producing hormones because of early adrenal, which would increase the oil in his coat. If he has any other signs, for example new aggression or sexual behaviour with the other ferrets I should get this checked out.
Mary- 6 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa, Niffler and Jill plus Charlie the dog, 4 fish 2 snails, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Akv1979
Username: Akv1979

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sorry I have no info on this, but i'm sending good thoughts your way! If you do decide to order the ferretflyer, please let me know how it goes. i've been considering it for my Bailey who has a curved spine and drags her back legs.
Hope everything turns out okay for you!
Proud mama to my lovely ladies Nadia and Bailey; and my handsome gentleman Baxter William (aka - b-dub/b-dizzle)...
At the Bridge....Mr. Boris Yeltsin - 8/12/08(fly high big man!!), and Princess Zoey - 9/9/08(Mommy misses you so much!)

Fuzzie23
Username: Fuzzie23

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's what I was going to order for Ben was the ferret flyer. I will have to make note of that link again. My thoughts are out to all the fuzzies.
proudly owned by The Official Wrecking Crew: Stinker, China, Sara, Jasmin, Nikita, Norma, Einstien Junior, Clyde, Cocoa Bean, Casper, Scooter, Stripe, Ivan, Calvin, Hobbs, Demon, Beauregards, Patch, Buster, Taz2, Meeko, Beneka. Angels at the Bridge Loved Forever: Toby 19Jul07, Ben 27Dec07, Gracie Girls 6Mar08, Bonnie 31may08, Taz 9Jun08,

Wanderin_weasels
Username: Wanderin_weasels

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Ferret Flyer is wonderful!! My Spanky Rose had one built and donated to her. She had a spinal cord injury that prevented her from using her hind legs. Doc put her on Pred and we gave her physical therapy by taking her in the swimming pool with us when weather permitted. Not long before we lost her to an embolism she got to where she was able to take a few steps with her hind legs being used as they should. The Ferret Flyer really helper her get around. Good luck with your kids.

Greensky042
Username: Greensky042

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a friend that has a paralyzed boy who gets around. L.B. was mauled by a dog, and the owners said they "found" the ferret this way. Anyway, the vet fixed his wounds up, but there was spinal cord damage. L.B. can use his upper body, and sometimes his back end will work, but mostly he just drags himself around. He is the happiest little boy I've ever known,(that's where the name LB came from). When he gets excited, he just jumps around on his front feet and, drags himself thru the tubes. I've never seen a boy so happy. His only problem is he has no bladder or bowel control, so he potties all over the place. As time has gone on, he can't pee on his own anymore, he has to be expressed several times a day. My friend knows the day will come soon where his bladder will become too thin and she will have to let him go, but for now, he's happy and not in any pain, so he continues to play and hop around.
So in answer to your question... if your boy is happy and not in pain, and can move around a little bit, I would help him all you can and let him hang in there.
Mom to Fizzle, Zoe and Chucky. RIP my boys Koda Bear, Roofie and Drew, I miss you terribly.

Sara22au
Username: Sara22au

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In regards to spinal injuries, a fert that was surrendered to me last feb broke his back by falling from a verandah in 2005! He "swims" with his back legs and gets around quite fine! He does need expressing and his previous owners didn't do this enough so his bladder is about the size of an orange. He is now about 7 yo and is still going strongly! So don't be too concerned about a thin bladder!
owned by Stubby, Bear, Crumble,Leah, Dime, Modo and Gilmore, Cedric, Shadow AND Miss Messy - but wait! there's more! Cricket the wonky broken backed boy!Ferret math strikes again!!! Part of the J family corp including two minor shareholders and one mongrel.Playing on the rainbow bridge: Fast Freddy and Coco.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration