Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2008 ARCHIVES * December 2008 * Winter Coat Question < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Banditsbuddy
Username: Banditsbuddy

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is this normal? Bandit and Scudder will both be two years old in January and April. Last year at this time neither one gained any weight or got their winter coat. This year, however, Scudder gained almost a pound and he looks like Sasquatch. So fat he waddles when he walks. His personality has changed also . All of a sudden he
has turned into a lap ferret. Before all of this started, all he wanted to do was play and hide from us. Now he follows us every where.
Bandit has just started his "molt" this weekend.
Colleen, mom to Bandit,Scudder,Gracie(RIP). Taco Paco (chinchilla 18 yrs old.) Seven cats & A dog named Elvis.

Need PC advice? www.mousetraxx.com

Allistair
Username: Allistair

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yay! The wonders of ferret seasons! Loki and Hobb are in their luxurious beautiful ferret coats currently, and both have gained a significant amount of weight (Loki gained a pound and is so big sometimes I have a hard time telling which is which between him and Hobb!!!). Last summer, they molted and had lost a lot of weight, so its soooo nice to see them winter'd out and fat and fluffy!!!!! Absolutely amazing, a real ferret marvel to my eyes. Putting on weight in the winter is completely normal, as is losing a little weight come summer (this is according to my ferret vet, and I completely trust her opinion). Ohh, how I love their long soft winter coats!!!
Bandit is molting? You mean molting as in, losing his winter coat? shedding? Its a little early in the winter season for that, I can see why that is happening if he's getting a lot of lightness though. Its not particularly a good thing though.
Unfortunately for us, despite our best efforts had no effect on our oldest ferret, the ferret we've had for the least amount of time (she was a recent adoption): Toad. We dropped the thermostat temperature, and basically increased the amount of darkness our ferrets are in (to simulate winter in an apartmentsetting). But I guess because she hasnt been with us for very long, her fur has thinned around the shoulders and tail area, and she's as small as ever. we have a vet appointment for her this week to get her tested for adrenal and see what's going on and why she hasnt been going through the winter changes with Loki and Hobb.

(Message edited by allistair on November 30, 2008)
-Bonnie

of Cambridge Massachusetts and the 3 Thieves Ferret Crew: Hobbert aka "Hobb" the big Albino Bloke, Loki the quirky energetic trouble-rouser Albino, and the Silvermitt Toad... Most commonly referred to endearingly as "The Girl" - Face kisser and Leg climber Extraordinaire. :-)

Akv1979
Username: Akv1979

Post Number: 469
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's perfectly normal to gain weight in the winter and to be a bit less active. Just keep an eye on his food intake and potty and if they're normal I wouldn't worry too mcuh. My Baxter has a beautiful winter coat right now and is also fat as a sasquach! Nadia's body I think is a bit confused still from the airconditioning in the summer. She had a beautiful winter coat all summer and then when I turned the air off and opened the windows she shed it and lost weight which is where she's still at. I keep the window in their room open all the time and the ceiling fan going all the time to help keep it cool for them. I'm not sure though if Nadia and Bailey are goign to get the winter coats this year like Baxter did...we've had some cold weather and I havn't seen a change.
Proud mama to my lovely ladies Nadia and Bailey; and my handsome gentleman Baxter William (aka - b-dub/b-dizzle)...
At the Bridge....Mr. Boris Yeltsin - 8/12/08(fly high big man!!), and Princess Zoey - 9/9/08(Mommy misses you so much!)

Banditsbuddy

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, "molt" was a bad choice of words. Transformation might be better. Bandit has started to put on weight and his coat is getting longer. He seems to be about two weeks behind Scudder in getting his full winter coat.
Glad to know it's nothing to be concerned about. It's just that the sudden change in Scudder was unbelievable.
Colleen, mom to Bandit,Scudder,Gracie(RIP). Taco Paco (chinchilla 18 yrs old.) Seven cats & A dog named Elvis.

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wish I could put on weight in winter and loose it in spring with no effort.
Mary- 6 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa, Niffler and Jill plus Charlie the dog, 4 fish 2 snails, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Banditsbuddy

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No kidding about losing the weight in the spring, especially with no effort

Sheri_k5
Username: Sheri_k5

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think they all get winter coats at different times. Huck got his first, then Zoey got a beautiful coat, I was starting to worry, but then Lily shed hers and now is fluffy and plump, Roo's is just starting to grow in, I am just waiting for Zool now. He may be a bit late as he was very malnourished when I got him.
Proud ferrant to Lily-Mae my energizer ferret, Huckleberry Finn my giant baby boy, Zoey aka the remote control thief, Roo my sweet little girl, and Zool one handsome guy. R.I.P. Smudgie, Daisy Mae, Marten, Bandit, Gussy-girl, Gizmo(moe moe), and Digger(ferret-kitty-cluck-moose)

Qtrhorse89
Username: Qtrhorse89

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The winters where I live are pretty mild but I like it to be cold in the house so Dakota grew in his winter coat right on time. Can't tell if he's gained any weight or not as he hit a growth spurt a little while ago so it may have been from that. *shrug* Whatever the reason a friend came over that hadn't seen him a few months and said he was huge.

I'll second that wish to being able to lose weight in the spring. That'd be nice :-) right before the dreaded swim suit season. Gah the thought of those three words in the same sentence = not good. lol
Kimbery, DJ the cat, and Dakota the ferret

Banditsbuddy

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bandit is starting to put on his winter weight and has the beginnings of a beautiful winter coat. I just didn't understand why he wasn't keeping up with Scudder. Glad to hear that's not abnormal.
The way that the weather has been here, I won't have to worry about swimsuit season for a while.

Sara22au
Username: Sara22au

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ferts will do what their hormones tell them. Winter coats will come in when they are ready, or sometimes not at all. My ferts tend to have different winter coats, the younger ones will put them on when it gets cold, the older ones seem to have a weather vane happening! Occasionally, one of my ferts won't get a winter coat at all....but I am in Aus, where ferts aren't native, so that may have something to do with it!
owned by Stubby, Bear, Crumble,Leah, Dime, Modo and Gilmore, Cedric, Shadow AND Miss Messy - but wait! there's more! Cricket the wonky broken backed boy!Ferret math strikes again!!! Part of the J family corp including two minor shareholders and one mongrel.Playing on the rainbow bridge: Fast Freddy and Coco.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration