Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2008 ARCHIVES * June 2008 * Poop Questions < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Allistair
Username: Allistair

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know a good reference for spotting problems with regards to different colors of fecal samples? I mean... Wouldn't that be a great chart? Seriously, to help us possibly diagnose problems. And I know the only surefire way to diagnose is to take your critter to the vet... but, I was hoping to get a headstart on the web first.

Could you folks list up the different poos you have seen and what the vet told you it meant, or what you think it means?

like:

Slimy Mucousy Yellow Poo:

Green Poo:

Seedy Yellow Poo:

Etc etc etc. I would be willing to put it up on a website too maybe, if it hasnt been done already. Even with Pictures.

An example:

Purple dotted White Poo: Potentially the work of the parasite Flagellium Dottum, or possibly your ferret has a taste for Purple Easter Peeps.

I dont know, that was a joke, obviously... but some serious information would be greatly greatly appreciated.
-Bonnie

of Cambridge Massachusetts and the 3 Thieves Ferret Crew: Hobbert aka "Hobb" the big Albino Bloke, Loki the lovable quirky energetic trouble-rouser Albino, and lil'Girl... Most commonly referred to endearingly as "The Girl" - Face kisser and Leg climber Extraordinaire. :-)

Akv1979
Username: Akv1979

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's one on the main ferret universe page...
Proud mama to Boris Yeltsin, and my lovely ladies Zoey and Nadia!

Allistair

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't find it... :-( I looked under resources and Health.... Maybe I'm blind.. I'm probably completely overlooking it... can you be a little more specific?
-Bonnie

of Cambridge Massachusetts and the 3 Thieves Ferret Crew: Hobbert aka "Hobb" the big Albino Bloke, Loki the lovable quirky energetic trouble-rouser Albino, and lil'Girl... Most commonly referred to endearingly as "The Girl" - Face kisser and Leg climber Extraordinaire. :-)

Poor_boy
Username: Poor_boy

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Black tarey looking poop can be a sign of Ulcers

Some Green poops (not all) can be a
sign of ECE

I know some of these guys have more info. These are the ones I know off hand
The gang, Trigger, Timmy, Topper, Thor, Sampson,and Delilah. Miss you always Sweet Sophie, Missing Mongo everyday dook on big man. Oh yea the skin kids Austin and Kassadie

Toronto_fuzzies
Username: Toronto_fuzzies

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here are some links I found, it seems to have what you are looking for.

http://www.all-about-ferrets.com/ferret-poop.html

http://www.ferret-fact.org/HealSymPoop.htm

(Message edited by Toronto_Fuzzies on June 27, 2008)
~*Rebecca*~

Mum to little boy Rocky!

Akv1979
Username: Akv1979

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay...go to Health, then illnesses, then "other illnesses", then poops. There's only a few colors listed but i'm guessing they are the main ones. I've had a rainbow of colors shapes and textures over the years....Isn't it wierd how normal it becomes to look at poop!!
Proud mama to Boris Yeltsin, and my lovely ladies Zoey and Nadia!

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Remember hat if you start feeding a raw met diet their pooh may vary according to what they have eaten. I have noticed that their pooh is quite dark when they have beef, liver or kidney, the iron content I suppose, chicken or pork produces quite pale pooh.
Mary- 6 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa, Niffler and Jill plus Charlie the dog, 4 fish 2 snails, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Allistair

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys!!!!!!! I really appreciate that!

Akv, why thank you thank you. Found it. I love the ferretuniverse site, even when I think it has a LOT of info, I find yet even more. :-)

Mary, good point. I wasnt expecting strange poo... but it makes sense if you think about it when you are changing their diets. I saw a yellowy mucuousy slimy thing on the floor near the litterbox today. Eh, I'm hoping its related to the raw diet I'm trying them on.. but I'm going to keep an eye out just incase its not related to the diet but instead a prexisting problem. ECE doesn't sound fun.
-Bonnie

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The worst poohs I have seen are when they have eaten a slug, they are outside so slugs get in sometimes and don't often get out. I don't think they can digest the slime because the pooh looks ghastly all slimy and horrid. ewwwww
Mary- 6 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa, Niffler and Jill plus Charlie the dog, 4 fish 2 snails, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 5163
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is my favorite link, because it shows pictures:
http://www.hugawoozel.com/medical.html#poop
Anita in KC / Bubba Brigade Field Maneuvers Coordinator, (and also married to the Master Armorer of Zee Revolution)

Resident Lime Princess, and Picture Nag

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon Bubba D.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Weaslehugs and Angel-kisses to our darlings at the Bridge:
Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration