Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2008 ARCHIVES * February 2008 * Ferret Breathing Heavy < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

E_sulsa
Username: E_sulsa

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I posted a thread that my ferret had some teeth extracted a few days ago. She was also breathing heavily. The vet said that it may be related to her malnutrition (was unable to eat much due to tooth pain) because her organs were working overtime to keep her alive. Again, she's breathing much easier now, and it's not heavy breathing, but I'd still say it is medium breathing. Do you think my ferret is in any danger? She is going to the vet for a follow up in a few days. Until then, can anyone corroborate the theory that it's because my Jill's organs are working overtime? Any natural remedies to ease her up a bit? I'm not saying I don't believe in all those drugs the doctors push, but I do believe I should assist her breathing in any way I can.

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only nutrition problem i can think of that would cause heavy breathing would be aneamia, ie lack of iron in her diet. do you think she would eat raw meat, it may be worth trying her with some raw chicken livers as they are full of iron. My lot who are not that keen on most raw food love them. I don't give them too often as too much vitamin A can be a problem but if there is a risk of aneamia it is worth a try.

If you are really worried about breathing I would consider it an emergency and she should go straight back to the vet.
Mary- 5 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa and Niffler plus 1 dog Charlie, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Mom2three
Username: Mom2three

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's some good advice, mary, and I didn't know about the chicken livers. Was it difficult to get them introduced to the livers, or were they crazy about them from the get-go?

Please, if there is any change in her breathing, get her in immediately.
Chris, Zee Empress of zee Revolution des Liberte des Ferrets! who is mom to Alvin, Simon (who is on active duty at Aunt Nita's house for years on end), Theodore, Skeeter, and Baby Roo, grandma to Angel Maximillian (RIP) and Angel HRH Sapphire (RIP), Auntie to Skipper the Nipper. To Chopper the Australian Shepherd, we miss you every day. Carry on at The Bridge.

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was a bit wary of the liver, they are pretty yucky raw, but I cut them up a bit so one couldn't eat the lot and they polished them off with relish the first time they had them, they even licked up the blood out of the dish, yuck. Does remind us that they are meat eaters desinged to eat raw though.
Mary- 5 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben,Rosa and Niffler plus 1 dog Charlie, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Luvabunny
Username: Luvabunny

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You posted several days ago about your ferret having teeth extracted. I would think by now she would be almost completely over that. Animals have an amazing ability to bounce back.

I've never heard of organs working overtime causing heavy breathing. Even when my little ones run, jump, dance and play hard for an hour, I've never noticed heavy breathing. I think I would take her in to the vet, just to make sure nothing it physically wrong. At the very least, they can give her some oxygen for a bit to help her catch up.

It sounds more to me like she may have some type of fluid in her lungs - or maybe gotten a low grade respiratory infection. I am certainly not a vet, and most definitely hope I am totally wrong, but if she were mine, I would take her in immediately.

Best wishes and hope things turn out well.
April

Head food preparer and chief potty box cleaner to the Cowboy Brigade West, led by Sheriff Sebastian, undercover cutie Sophie, and the rest of the posse - Sadie, Felony, Smudge, Silver and Scamper.

Pugh_cindy
Username: Pugh_cindy

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, if she is breathing harder than normal I would go straight for the Vet's office. If you are worried about malnutrition, have you tried her on some simple mush? Just grind up her kibble add some Duck Soup, ferretone, and water. You could even try some chicken or turkey baby food second stage for the Gerber's.
Let us know how she is doing.
Cindy, mom to, Dogs: Mitzy, & Katie, Cats: Oreo & Morris & Fuzzies: (here we go) Cookie, Baby Ruth, Ricky, CiCi, Nikki, Mo, Arnie, Buehler, Napster, Meeko, Keely, Gidget, Strada, Fred, Ben, & Buster Brown, and three skin kids: Ryan, Paige (future Vet), & Collin.
Rest in Peace, Willie the Cocker Spaniel, Lucy, Asia, Proton, and Chub Chub. We love and miss you very much!

E_sulsa
Username: E_sulsa

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LUVABUNNY "It sounds more to me like she may have some type of fluid in her lungs - or maybe gotten a low grade respiratory infection."

Exactly what I deduced after reviewing ferret respiratory ailments. She began breathing heavier several days after administering a pungent antibiotic she took prior to surgery. Took her to the vet, today, with the aspiration pneumonia theory, and vet agreed after examination. She's got new antibiotics that don't smell like hydrochloric acid (a grape juice smell in fact). Vet also found that some of her oral sutures came undone. She may or may not have some pus in her extraction site, but the antibiotics should take care of that. The GREAT NEWS is that my mini diva is putting on weight (maybe 1-2 ounces) and her coat is very shiny. Whoever mentioned Pedialite, you're a rock star! She likes the one that tastes like bubble gum.

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 4366
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Glad she's doing better! I think I may have missed your intro post, so I'll say hi and welcome here! Keep up the great TLC!
Anita in KC / N.Garfield Brigade Headquarters' Field Instructor, and Resident Lime Princess

Mama to Lance Corporal Skipper da Nipper and Co-Mama to Sgt. Major Simon. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!
Weaslehugs and Angel-kisses to our darlings at the Bridge:
Ellaweez Ellen/Weezie, Max-1-million-ways-to-get-in-trouble, and HRH The Princess Sapphire

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration