Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2007 ARCHIVES * November 2007 * Flea Medicine < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Beakersmom
Username: Beakersmom

Post Number: 489
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What kind of flea medicine do you get for ferrets? I've never had to get any because I never had a problem with fleas before, but with a new addition of a kitten ( who was flea infested) I want to treat ALL my animals , just incase. The kitty is isolated in my room, he did get 2 baths with Dawn, and I litterally searched him with tweezers. I wrapped him in a towel to bring him in the house, and ran upstairs to the bathroom. I want to treat everyone before he comes out, since he is only 7 weeks old, I dont think he can get actual flea medicine yet. But..... to make a long story, a little shorter, I want to treat everyone, to prevent a snowball effect from happening.
Beakersmom~Lisa
http://360.yahoo.com/beakersmommy

Caesura
Username: Caesura

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

you can get the stuff to treat your carpet for the eggs at a hardware store, I found stuff that said it was safe for household pets. (I also read that cats tend to be affected by this particular way of treatment worse than ferrets, same with most flea treatments.)

Other than that I would call your vet to see if kitten advantage would be safe on your little guys, I know my vet used it on my new little girls before I brought them home, but they were infested. >.>

Fuzz
Username: Fuzz

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Advantage has never harmed our kittens, even two days old, but Hartz flea spray killed a 2 month old kitten we found stuck in our fence, so I have always steered clear of the sprays.
FlaFuzz~ Mommy to the boys~ Miles, Oscar, Journey and the girls~ Gabby, Maggie, Reese and Sari. Also, Auntie to sweet Liberty!
At the Bridge ~Ryder~ we miss you soooo much.

Wilbur
Username: Wilbur

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your best bet is to ask your vet. There are a lot of over the counter products but when I asked manufacturers here for their ingredients I found most are repellents so they will not actually get rid of fleas.
Mary- 5 ferrets, V,Wilbur,Ben and the new babies Rosa and Niffler plus 1 dog Charlie, 2 kids 1 long suffering fella!

Fuzzyslave
Username: Fuzzyslave

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've used Frontline Plus spray for several yrs now.I've used it on day old kittens/puppies.I use it on my crew here at the shelter.
Can get it from your vet or order from Jeffers at 1-800-jeffers

Dawn is pretty harsh on skin.If you need to bathe an animal to rid it of fleas,use baby shampoo.Works the same just much nicer to the skin.

Ladyhawk
Username: Ladyhawk

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Frontline is good, and safe. A very small dose is needed. My vet said to use the cat dose on my ferrets, but I cut it 1/2 because I know the ferrets weigh 1/2 what the cats do. It works just fine.
All the stuff Like Hartz and store brand...STAY AWAY! It's been a long known fact they are not safe for small, weak or sick animals. And you wont spend any more $$ if you get a single tube of front line from your vet and spilt it with a sryinge at split the doses out.
Good luck!

Catzx10
Username: Catzx10

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

you can also get what is called capstar from the vet, it will get all the fleas off the kitten within a short period of time.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration