Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register Ferret Universe Web Site Ferret Universe Store  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View AOL IM SCREEN NAME: FerretUniv  
Ferret Universe * Ferrets * 2007 ARCHIVES * January 2007 * Diabetic Ferret < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ferret_mom_of_5
Username: Ferret_mom_of_5

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a ferret that has just recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I am told this is very rare in ferrets and I haven't been able to find out anything searching online about this.

I have to give him insulin shots once a day and he seems to be doing worse. I have him to the vet 2 to 3 times per week. He has lost almost a pound since being on the insulin and he keeps falling over, not eating, not pooping much and he has started to bite, he has never bit before.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? Also, could it be anything else but the diabetes? Blood sugar was high and vet found sugar in urine. Today's blood test came back at 532

Snazzmom
Username: Snazzmom

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm no expert but the insulin is making him WORSE!!!! In a human the insulin is to stable it not rise it like that. Is the vet ferret knowable??? I know others will chime in with way more info I hope he gets better soon!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zeke n Zoe^ the ferrets Nashie N Socks the kitty's & of course the mum * Harmony*

Lauraleeme
Username: Lauraleeme

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Insulin helps to bring the blood sugar down.....
~Laura Lee
Mom to skin kid Austin, five fuzzie little furballs, three cats and my baby Bear Dog; foster mom whenever I can
missing you sweet babies: Jarbe 08/27/06, Elsey 01/06/07

Lauraleeme

Post Number: 644
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A couple sites to help:

http://www.ferret.org/newsletter/1999/101medical.pdf

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG330
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG810

you might also want to join the ferret health list (it is a yahoo message group) because there are many vets and ferret owners there who will have had experience with diabetic ferrets.

Good luck and please post what you learn here so that if any of us have to experience it, we know what to look for and do.
~Laura Lee
Mom to skin kid Austin, five fuzzie little furballs, three cats and my baby Bear Dog; foster mom whenever I can

Tanuki
Username: Tanuki

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If the insulin is making him worse, is there a chance that he DOES NOT actually have diabetes??
In diabetes, your body does not produce insulin, so your blood sugar gets really high. We inject insulin to bring it down.
However, in something like hypoglycemia (and I THINK insulinoma is the same, is it??), the physical symptoms LOOK the same as diabetes, but it's actually the reverse. The body produces too much insulin, making the blood sugar really low. Adding more insulin would be really bad.

Did your vet do a blood sugar test, or just look at the external symptoms?

If he is diabetic, the insulin should NOT make him feel worse!! Could it be the wrong dose? Could your vet be mistaken?? Could you be giving it at the wrong time of day?

Keep searching for the answers! We'll help you and your little guy here as much as we can!
I hope he starts to feel better soon!!!

Oops, just noticed in your post that he did take a sugar test... so maybe half the stuff I said is useless now... U_U I'll keep it here anyway, just in case it helps at all.......
My ferret-babies: Fat Tanuki, Cute Kitsune, and Ultra Haku.
Plus, one old kitty, Kitty.

Snazzmom

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have insulin to make my sugar low & to make it high its 2 types I thought maybe they gave him the wrong does or something I thought maybe it was making him worse.
I was also thinking it would be like our sugar treat ments make sense?
Did not mean to upset or confuse anyone. de peding on my sugar I either take a shot to boost it or lower it. His is WAY WAY 2 high :-( Im thinking of him often HUGS

Sorry if I confused anyone!

Zeke n Zoe^ the ferrets Nashie N Socks the kitty's & of course the mum * Harmony*

Shazza
Username: Shazza

Post Number: 695
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

First off....Welcome to the board and sorry it couldn't be under better circumstances...

I can't help much as I have no experience in this.....

What were his symptoms before he was diagnosed?? How long has this been going on for?...There are a couple of others on here that I'm sure will pipe in with some info for you.....This would be right up Brenda's alley...

If it was me, depending on what shape he was in BEFORE he started the insulin ie, was he eating, pooping etc...I'd stop the insulin and get to another vet for a second opinion...

Good luck and please keep us updated on his progress
Sharon...Sydney Australia, owned by Basil, Ambush AKA " you little bugger!", Caddy, Lulu, Titch and Dasher and the little baby Cookie !! (fuzzies)..3 skin kids and 2 dogs

Ferret_mom_of_5
Username: Ferret_mom_of_5

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The vet seems to be the most ferret informed vet in the area anyways (I have tried several) but in his case, it looks like at this point that she had his dosage to high. He was basically in a low sugar coma when he had his spells so I found out I did the right thing by giving him the caro syrup the other night. Now she has cut his insulin in half and he is doing better. He has been eating today and walking around which he hasn't been doing.

His initial syptoms was sleeping all the time, laying down and going to the bathroom (which kept getting all over him) and unusual bathroom habits like going in the middle of the floor all over the place (not like he hit the litter box before either, but at least it was close) so when I took him to the vet she did a urine test thinking it could have been an infection, she found sugar in it and then did a blood test.

She wants me to monitor him closely and keep him on the new dose of insulin per day and then he goes back in Tuesday for another blood test to see how he is getting regulated. He has been through so much with the shots of insulin, all the blood tests and trips to the vet, plus the temp taking (last night it made him bleed because of them taking his temp, really made me mad) he hasn't had a temp though. Hopefully now that he is eating again he will start gaining his weight back. He was my biggest ferret and now even his sisters are bigger.

You guys are all great, I appreciate all of the support and feedback. I am very glad I found this site!

I tried attaching a pic of Thieves but it won't let me because of the size. I will work on trying to figure out how to resize then I will post a pic of him.

Janna
Username: Janna

Post Number: 762
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to the board!! I really hope that you are able to get your poor guys health issues under control! I know how stressful it is when you have one sick and you feel like nothing is making them better. Good luck! Hope he continues to improve.
Mom to 4 ferrets- Max, Chloe, Mia, and Brutus, a cat- Gabby, a red-eared slider turtle, and 8 fish.
Fang we will always love and miss you.

Weaslemom
Username: Weaslemom

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wanted to welcome you, too, even though I don't have any tips for a diabetic ferret. I hope Thieves (wicked cute name) continues to do better on his meds. If you want, you can email me the picture(s) you want to post (just click on my name (the blue Weaslemom) to send, and I'll fix them and post them here for you.
Anita in KCMO, Doting WeasleMom to fuzz-princess Sapphire and Skipper (our little nipper); kittys, Gizmo & Gumshoe... along with hubby's two fish tanks and three tarantulas, Tequila2, Truck and Sabre. And RIP my little angel babies: Foo-Foo Kitty, Sandy our faithful canine companion for almost 14 years, our precious Ellaweez Ellen a/k/a Weezie and Max, our darling little buddy boy. Dookie Dreams!
Email for an invite to My Blog/Fertie Pics: http://360.yahoo.com/i_need_a_due

Shazza
Username: Shazza

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So glad to hear he is doing better and the lower dosage seems to be doing the trick....

hoping he keeps on improving in leaps and bounds, can't wait to see pics of your babies.
Sharon...Sydney Australia, owned by Basil, Ambush AKA " you little bugger!", Caddy, Lulu, Titch and Dasher and the little baby Cookie !! (fuzzies)..3 skin kids and 2 dogs

Ferretlovers1
Username: Ferretlovers1

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi and welcome to the board:-)
I do not have personal experience with this but did have a friend with a ferret that was diabetic, it is rare..anyway, I do remember her telling me, getting the correct dosage was the hardest part, once they got that her ferret did fine :-)
good luck and keep us posted :-)
Glen & June
http://www.fuzies.com/JuneBEDDING/ferret_bedding_for_sale.htm
and our 17 fuzzies
we love and miss our babies
at the bridge.

Lauraleeme

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey mom_of_5, not that I would ever encourage anyone to stray from here (ferret universe), but the MSN ferret board has a lady with a recently diagnosed diabetic ferret. Her name is squeaselmom and you might be able to get some interesting (and useful) information from her.

I don't know if you have to be a member to read the posts, but the web address is http://groups.msn.com/ferret/home.msnw

Hope that helps!
~Laura Lee

Jstdve
Username: Jstdve

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As luck (?) would have it , I was at my vet.s this afternoon and asked him about the diabetes.
He said that it was rare but not un-heard of and that regulating it could be difficult .

Snazzmom

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

JUST WANTED TO SEE HOW THINGS ARE & TO SEE IF THERE HAS BEEN ANY MORE UPDATE'S?????

LOTS OF HUGS 4 YA'S

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration